Sunday, April 5, 2009

Blog Quiz 4/6

Charlotte Cotton’s text, The Photography As Contemporary Art has helped to expand my knowledge of photographic skills and the postmodern history of the digital photography medium. Before this class began, I was mostly partial to portrait photography and photos that included a lot of detail and specific subject matter. Through reading the text and learning about the different aspects of photography and its different “lenses”, I have grow a love for landscape and deadpan photography, which contrasts my previous photographic style.

Through this shift in my artistic education, my style of photos has changed as well. Currently, I am working on a night photography series that incorporates elements of deadpan photography.

Two examples of this photographic skill are James Casebere’s Pink Hallway #3 and Rut Blees Luxemburg’s Nach Innen/In Deeper.




Both of theses photos utilize environment, natural elements (water in both), an absence of human activity, and a non-specific subject matter. Using these photos, I have become to understand my own work in my series and continue to pursue this artistic direction.

No comments: